- How is Catch22 different from other dating sites?
- Catch22 is different because it is an exclusive community of graduate students and young professionals ages 22-40 who have attended the nation’s top 50 undergraduate and top 25 graduate programs. Exceptions include medical students and physicians, all of whom are eligible. Catch22 members are looking for interesting and intelligent people like themselves and know that Catch22 is a place where their hard work can be recognized. Catch22 ensures that everyone on the site graduated from the school they say they did by pre-screening and verifying the educational background of each member using its partner, National Student Clearinghouse. Every member is also checked against the National Sex Offender Public Registry. Further, Catch22 allows you to keep your dating life private by customizing who can and cannot see your profile including classmates and co-workers. Please see the application process section of the FAQs to learn more about joining our community.
- That sounds kind of snobby. Why screen by education? Why top 50 and not top 100?
- Our intention is not to be snobby, although we completely understand that this may ruffle a few feathers. At Catch22, we screen by education because our members find this criteria to be a helpful standard by which they are more likely to find individuals with similar lifestyles, values, and backgrounds. We chose top 50 undergraduate schools (or top 25 schools at the graduate level) to ensure our community would include a range of exceptional people but would still have a commitment to education in common. While determining which schools to include is more art than science, our guiding principle is to create a strong community that helps our members meet the type of people they hope to meet.
- Tell me more about your automated matching system.
- Catch22 uses a detailed matching algorithm based on your responses to the questions in the basic “About Me” section of your profile, the “Must Haves” you specify and the “Do Not Match” criteria you specify. You can also indicate which “Must Haves” are relatively more or less important, as well as which “Do Not Match” criteria are relatively more or less important to you. Our automated matching system uses a “two way matching” algorithm which finds matches based on both your criteria as well as potential matches’ preferences. This way, you can be sure that when someone comes up as a match, you know you both have some things in common. When the system generates matches for you or when you run your own manual searches, you can choose to see your results based on how high matches rank from your perspective or opt to view matches based on the best matches when both people’s preferences are considered.
- How do your education verifications work? What do you mean by “qualifying school”?
- A member’s “qualifying school” is the school or program that Catch22Dating used to accept the member to Catch22. Most often, the qualifying school is the member’s graduate program. If both undergraduate and graduate programs can be seen as a qualifying school, we will verify the graduate school. Whenever possible, Catch22Dating partners with the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to verify that our members attended the qualifying school. We consider NSC the gold standard in education verifications and cover the costs to complete these verifications. When an NSC report is not available, we will work with the member one-on-one to obtain proof of education.
- What do you accept as proof of education when NSC reports are not available?
- Rest assured we maintain high standards to ensure the integrity of our education verifications. Examples of acceptable proof of education include: copy of diplomas, copy of transcripts, and verification from an .edu address from your qualifying school.
- I’m not sure I fit Catch22’s criteria: how do I know if my school is a top 50 ranked undergraduate program or a top 25 ranked graduate program?
- Just fill out the application under the “Apply Today” link on the Catch22 homepage. We’ve pre-populated the “University” and “Graduate Schools” drop-down list with schools which fit our criteria. We’ve compiled our list of invited schools based on top 50 academically ranked national undergraduate university or liberal arts colleges and top 25 academically ranked graduate program according to US News & World Report, Academic Ranking of World Universities, BusinessWeek, or Forbes within the past 5 years. Exceptions include medical students and physicians, all of whom are eligible.
- I don’t see my school listed, but think I would be a good fit for Catch22. Can I still become a member?
- If you don’t see your school in the list but think it should be or if you would be a good fit for Catch22 for another reason, please let us know by including your thoughts in the “Additional Information” section of the application. We will take all of your application information into consideration.
- How do you pre-screen and verify that Catch22 members are who they say they are?
- We review each application and extend an invitation to join only if the applicant fits Catch22’s criteria. Once the applicant decides to become a member, Catch22 will verify the member’s educational background through our partner, National Student Clearinghouse, and will perform a background check on the member using public records. If the applicant’s school is not part of National Student Clearinghouse’s database, Catch22 will reach out to the school directly. If any issues arise, Catch22 will personally reach out to the member and work with them on a case by case basis.
- What is the National Student Clearinghouse?
- The National Student Clearinghouse is a non-profit organization and is the nation's trusted source for student degree and enrollment verification with over a 15-year track record.
Catch22 has partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse in order to verify the educational background of each member. You can learn more about National Student Clearinghouse by visiting their website at http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/.
- How does Catch22’s guaranteed proof of education work?
- If you discover that someone on the site did not go the school listed in their profile, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will verify the claim and if true, will refund your money. We will also ensure that the member’s profile is corrected or if appropriate, remove the member off of the site.
- Can I add my graduate school and program to my profile if I decide to attend a graduate school after applying for my Catch22 membership?
- Absolutely. If you attend graduate school after applying to Catch22, just be sure to register the graduate school with us so you can share this information on your profile and be able to use the graduate program privacy features if you wish. Register by sending us an email at email@example.com with your name, the email address you use to log into your Catch22 account, your graduate school name, program type and graduation year. We’ll verify the graduate school information using our partner, National Student Clearinghouse, and post the changes to your profile.
- What if I don’t want to share my full name on the site?
- You don’t have to share your full name if you do not want to. Whatever you indicate under Preferred Name in the About Me section of the Profile is the name that will appear when others view your profile and when you come up in search results or as a match. Most people use their first name or first name and last name initial.
- Why doesn’t Catch22 just use screen names instead?
- We chose to use first names rather than screen names on Catch22 to provide a more personal dating experience. That said, we understand that some of you may not feel comfortable sharing your first name at first. In that case, simply indicate an alias in the preferred name field.
- I’m worried about sharing my personal information - what is Catch22’s policy on this?
- Catch22 will treat all of the information you share as private and will only share your name, birth date and school names with National Student Clearinghouse or with the schools you list in order to verify your educational background. Your profile will not be accessible to people outside of the Catch22 community. Catch22 will never sell or share your email address and will only use it to communicate with you about your Catch22 account.
- How do the customized privacy settings work?
- The customized privacy settings can be found under the “Privacy” tab after you log in. These settings allow you to choose whether you would like to hide your profile from people who work for the same company as you, from people who attend the same graduate program and who have the same graduation year as you and/or from specific people you list with name and email address. Further, no one outside of the Catch22 community will be able to see your profile.
- How much information do I have to share before I can receive matches?
- You will only need to share a few pieces of basic information about yourself plus the things you are not willing to compromise on that your date must have and must not have. This enables the matching algorithm to work and should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Why do I have to upload a profile picture?
- Catch22 requires all members to upload a profile picture because we believe it is an important way to connect with others on the site. We strongly encourage profile pictures to be a photo of yourself, but if you are not comfortable sharing, we suggest uploading a picture of something that is important and meaningful to you.
Membership Plans & Pricing
- How do the membership plans work?
- You'll be asked to choose a membership plan after logging into your account for the first time. Catch22 offers a number of different membership plans which can be found under the Plans & Pricing link on the homepage. Once you select a plan, you will be billed for the entire amount upfront.
- Why isn’t Catch22 free like some other dating sites?
- The Catch22 team is hard at work making Catch22 the premier dating resource for intelligent, busy graduate students and young professionals like yourself. While we always try to keep prices low for our members, we must charge enough to cover our expenses, pay our hard-working team and partners, and reinvest in Catch22 to make it even better in the future. We believe that charging a reasonable amount to use Catch22 makes for a better experience for our members- it means that everyone on the site has a vested interest and will be less likely to waste your valuable time. Also, Catch22 values your privacy and will never sell your contact information. Lastly, we believe Catch22 provides a valuable way to meet the type of people you would actually want to date and is worth paying a reasonable price for.
- What if I want to temporarily disable my account?
- You can disable your membership at any time for any reason by logging in and clicking on Settings then switching your account status to off. While your account status is off, your membership will be temporarily disabled - no one will be able to search or view your profile and you will also not be able to search for or view others’ profiles. Whenever you want to turn it back on, simply go back to Settings and press the “on” button. If you still have time left on your plan, you’re all set. If your membership plan has lapsed, select the plan that works best for you to get back up and running.
- What happens to my profile when I disable my account?
- Catch22 will keep your profile in tact while your account status is off but will not allow anyone to view or be able to search for your profile. This way, when you decide to switch your account status back on, you won’t have to worry about filling out your profile again.
Messaging & Other System Features
- How can I message someone or start a conversation?
- Catch22 Conversations only occur when both parties have expressed interest. We do this so that you’re not bombarded with messages from people you don’t want to hear from. If you’re interested in starting a conversation with someone, just select his or her profile from the Matches tab and click “I’m interested.” Catch22 will check with the person to see if he or she is also interested in starting a conversation. If so, you’ll be notified, that match will be transferred to the “It’s Mutual” section of the Matches tab, and both of you will be able to send messages from the “Conversations” tab. If not, then you’re able to avoid those awkward “thanks, but no thanks” conversations!
- What happens when I indicate that “I’m interested” in someone?
- We'll let the person know that you’re interested and will ask them whether or not they are as well. If so, you’ll both be able to send the other a message under the “Conversations” tab.
- What are “Icebreakers”?
- Icebreakers are a way you can share more of your personality and background with your Catch22 matches. It’s a more natural way to create conversation starters - if you recently took a vacation, discovered a great new restaurant, read a cool new book or have anything else you’d like to share, post it in your Icebreakers page for your matches to see. You’ll also be able to see what your matches have written in their Icebreakers.
- What are the “Must Haves” and “Do Not Match” sections of my profile for?
- The “Must Haves” and “Do Not Match” sections of your profile are not viewable by anyone but you. These pages help Catch22 best match you with other Catch22 members. The “Must Haves” page gives you the chance to say what you are not willing to compromise on while the “Do Not Match” page gives you the chance to specify who we should exclude from your matches so you don’t waste your time sifting through profiles of people you already know wouldn’t be a good fit. You can also indicate your relative preferences using the sliding scale. That way, if one dimension matters more to you than another, Catch22 can take that preference into account when we find matches for you. By indicating a rating of 5 on any particular criteria, we will ensure that you are never matched with someone who does not meet your criteria.
Other Questions & Suggestions
- I have an idea to make the Catch22 site better – how can I tell the Catch22 team?
- We would love to hear from you! Please shoot us an email with your thoughts and ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
- Do you have a rewards programs that I can sign up for?
- Catch22 invites all members to participate in our referral program. As a thank you for letting friends know about our services, for every new member you refer that signs up, we’ll add 1 more month to your membership, completely free! After logging in, click on My Account in top right corner of the screen then on the Invite Friends page. Just enter your friend’s name and email address and we will send them a personalized invitation to join Catch22.
Have a question we didn't answer? Let us know at email@example.com. We’d love to hear from you!
Copyright 2010, Catch 22 Dating. All Rights Reserved